Friday, September 17, 2010

What Keeps You Coming Back to Teen Ranch Val?


I have been a volunteer at Teen Ranch since March, 2001 initially on weekend staff and eventually moved to helping each summer for about four weeks.

Why do I do this? Most teachers look forward to a long break to recuperate from what is often an exhausting year. Teen Ranch IS a place of rest and refreshment for me, in spite of long days in the    kitchen, snack bar, painting, weeding or whatever else I‘m asked to do! Great friends, a chance to work with children, and a fantastic oppor- tunity to serve God keep me ener- gized. I have and continue to learn so much about God through both the full time and summer staff as I interact with them. Selfishly, I come back to Teen Ranch because I am always blessed. More importantly, and my central reason for       volunteering at Teen Ranch is the impact I have seen in the lives of campers, retreat guests and staff. There is something about Teen Ranch that cannot be put into words. God is clearly in this place. People immedi- ately feel loved, accepted and safe. I consider it a privilege to be one of the smiling faces that make this possible.

Valerie Moreton has been a Music Teacher since 1999 with the Toronto District School Board.

No comments:

Post a Comment